What is Digital Smile Design?
Digital Smile Design or DSD is a procedure that involves using veneers to correct tooth imperfections through digital photography, dynamic video recording, and other advanced software analyses. Developed by Dr. Christian Coachman from Brazil, DSD helps dentists and participating specialists in creating the best possible design for your teeth while increasing the involvement of the patient in the process. Because it is planned digitally, no tooth preparation before the treatment is required.
The importance of DSD
DSD is the most advanced cosmetic dentistry. You will be able to see and test your prospective smile before any invasive treatment begins. A natural arrangement of your teeth is created to reflect what you want perfected. You work together with your dentist and specialists to achieve the perfect textured ceramic surface for a natural-looking and beautiful smile.
DSD provides that priceless feeling of being at peace with a procedure because you have already seen the results and you know that you and your dentist are on the same page. This lessens the chances of having to redo the whole thing.
DSD also allows your dentist to remove only the required amount of tooth to achieve your desired results. Before, your teeth would have to be cut first and then restorations would be built to fit around the cut. Now, the risks of tooth over preparation are almost none.
The Process of DSD
- On your first visit, your dentist will examine your smile and discuss with you your desired and expected goals. Using your x-rays, a video will be created to map your full smile which helps in visualizing your lip and jaw motion to show if you have any problems with jaw function and bite alignment.
- You will examine your Digital Smile Design or smile makeover as a specialist discusses the individual shape of your teeth and how it affects your treatment and overall shape of your smile. In West Pennant Hills and Hills District.
- A mold of your teeth will be taken to make a cast that fits perfectly in your mouth.
- A replica of your smile is then built using special dental materials. You can bring this replica with you to show family members and friends if you want their opinion.
- Once you decide to proceed with the treatment, you can now have the veneers fitted. Your teeth will now be prepared to make sure the veneers bond to your teeth correctly and firmly.
At the end of your session, you will now have the beautiful smile you’ve always dreamed of while still being able to smile, speak, and chew naturally and comfortably.